Watch 20: Dark Side of the Meg
I wanted to do something special for this viewing, so I decided to set the movie to the Pink Floyd album “Dark Side of the Moon.” For those of you playing at home, I’m starting The Meg (Google Play) and the album (Spotify) at 0:00, and hitting play at the exact same time (the album was set to play on a loop).
- The smooth guitar music kicks in the second Statham enters the first scene
- The lyrics “Run rabbit run” play when Statham looks at the survivors and decides to leave his friends on the sub behind
- After the sub blows up the song transitions to the increased tempo of “On The Run.” The song even has a thrumming/thumping effect to it that matches the typical sound of a helicopter as Morris flies over China.
- Immediately after Statham’s line “You’re gonna offer me money” the cash-register sound from “Money” plays.
- During the lyrics “Up (up, up, up, up), And down (down, down, down, down)” portion of “Us and Them,” Statham propels the mini-sub down into the deep water as the ‘down, down, downs’ play
- The lyrics “Run rabbit run” plays again as the shark appears behind Meiying
- The tempo of “On The Run” kicks in as the characters run to find Meiying
- “The Great Gig In The Sky” begins to play as Suyin submerges underwater in the shark cage. As she looks out at the emptiness of the ocean, “Why should I be frightened of dying?” plays
- The rock-ballad portion of “The Great Gig In The Sky” with the woman screaming is heard as the sharks appear around Suyin. The singing/screaming crescendos as the Meg shows up.
- The lyrics “The old man died” plays while Suyin is crying over a photo of her father after he has just died.
- “Run, rabbit run” plays again as the little boy shuffle-jogs into the water on the beach
- The rising techno-tempo of “On the Run” picks up during the scene the Meg starts causing trouble at the beach, and fades when the shark leaves to go after the whale noises
- The lyrics “Waiting for someone or something to show you the way” play the exact moment DJ throws Meying off the boat
- The lyrics “So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it’s sinking” play when Statham decides to go one-on-one with the shark.
- Shortly after, the lyrics “Closer to death” play as the shark chomps on Statham’s glider. And “The time is gone, the song is over” is sung while he exits the flooding glass pod
- The song “Time” comes to a close as the characters begin celebrating their survival and the death of the Meg.
Author’s Note: My friend Kat told me that at Watch 20, I would unlock the secret ending where Statham leaves everyone to fend for themselves during the final act. I regret to inform you that my friend Kat is a bald-faced liar.
Rating: Hell Yeah!
Date: April 23, 2020