A wave of sadness washed over me when I realized this would be my last watch. Amidst all the chaos and uncertainty that’s surrounded these past 50 days, it was comforting to know that no matter what, I had The Meg. This blog has helped my days feel structured and productive during a time when structure and productivity was hard to come by. And I’ll always be grateful for that.
Also, I’ve officially changed my instagram bio to “World’s leading authority on The Meg (2018)”
- The sub at the beginning is literally littered with dead bodies and I still have no idea what the meg did to cause that kind of damage. Did it shake the sub around in it’s mouth like a giant rain stick or something?
- Thanks to this movie, I now know how to say “You meet candle egg, nice skull” in Mandarin.
- Jason Statham’s Thailand apartment wasn’t even locked???
- I mean it’s not like there was anything to steal, but still…
- I should have been saying this for every single watch, but Li Bingbing (Suyin) is absolutely stunning.
- I have always loved the trailer for this movie. Whosever idea it was to put the clips to the song “Beyond the Sea” was an absolute genius.
- Say it with me everyone: “It’s already proven aggressive towards boats.”
- My roommate Kelsey joined the watch as Suyin was lowered down in the shark cage.
- She immediately pointed out that it’s weird how easily Suyin’s mask broke. Which is a REALLY good point, especially since they must have spent a lot of money getting that polycarbonate shark cage. But they couldn’t be bothered to use the same unbreakable material for the masks???
- “There’s always a bigger fish” – Kelsey, as the second meg showed up.
- Kelsey also thought Mana One was a really expensive looking research station. And she missed the entire first half of this movie!
- Kelsey lamented that they bombed and killed a poor defenseless whale. I didn’t have it in me to tell her that this is the third whale that’s been killed at this point.
- I asked Kelsey why she thought Lori and Statham got divorced. Her theory is that Statham wanted kids (since he’s really good with Meiying) and she didn’t. Which I honestly think is a really good (and realistic) answer.
- “Dear god someone go get this dog!” – Kelsey, as Pippin the Dog continues to swim away from the boat.
- Jason Statham spearing the shark in the eye midair is still just such an amazing shot.
- Kelsey gave a half-amused-half-exasperated sigh at “Fin.”
Once it’s safe to have a large gathering I’m going to do one final (off the record) watch with my friends. Those who were mentioned previously on this blog will receive custom participation t-shirts. And if not me, then somebody will wear the shark onesie I bought off Ebay that didn’t get here in time for the final watch. It. Will. Not. Go. To. Waste.
Photos will be posted here and on instagram (@poguemarch).
Thanks to Kat, Ashley, Alyssa, Kelsey, and my family for joining me on some of the watches. And to my coworkers Gregg and Melissa, who supported and cheered me on as someone might cheer for a Bull Rider (safely from a distance).
A special thanks goes to director Jon Turteltaub for reaching out and sharing his thoughts on this endeavor. That was such an unexpected surprise and I am so grateful for the experience.
See you next time!
Rating: Hell Yeah!
Date: May 23, 2020